Malaysian shuttlers gave their reasoning on why they performed not up to the mark during the recent Thomas and Uber Cup Finals.
Here are the reasons given by them :-
- They were, culturally, not as mentally strong as the shuttlers from China and South Korea
- There was too much disturbance from the media and their surroundings (at the hostel where they shared the facilities with athletes from other sports at Bukit Kiara)
- The motivation camp was held too close to the Finals
- They lost to Japan (2-3 in the group tie) because they did not get a chance to try out the stadium when Nigeria failed to turn up for their opening match
To be honest i am surprised and shocked to see such lame excuses given by these players. Here are my reasonings :-
- I must say this is the major stumbling block on why most Malaysians don’t excel or do well in sports especially during tense situation. They tend to crumble. It seems like a disease in Malaysia. I am pretty sure most of my Malaysian counterparts will support my comment on this
- What’s wrong sharing? You guys sure you can be Thomas cup champion if there is not disturbance from media and no sharing of facilities with other athletes? China have more then 1 billion population and Indonesia is like 10 to 20 times bigger then Malaysia. I am sure they have more disturbance then you all have
- Motivation camp? So without motivation camp you can’t motivate yourself to excel for your country and nation? Enough said!
- This is the most lame excuse they can give. Couldn’t try out the courts earlier? So you all are blaming on Nigeria’s absence for your failure? Isn’t that lame. Imagine players from other country like Denmark, have to get use of the court and also the weather. Never hear them complaining about that also. Come on, you are playing at home and not Norway!! You have the crowd shouting for you, the weather that suits you, what else you all want?
So i rest my case. More comments and constructive ideas will be welcome.